The Destruction Of Luton Town Hall

The original Luton town hall was destroyed in 1919 during Peace Day celebrations at the end of the First World War. Dr. John G. Dony, author of The Flora of Bedfordshire told his history students at Luton Grammar, predecessor of Luton Sixth Form College, that during the 1950s he had broken the last intact window of the old town hall during the 1919 riots.

Local people, including many ex-servicemen, were unhappy with unemployment and had been refused the use of a local park to hold celebratory events. They stormed the town hall, setting it alight and destroying it.

Noticed in Wikipedia entry for Luton